The International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Iron Workers were founded on February 4, 1896 at Moorhead’s hall in Pittsburg, PA. It was reported in the Pittsburg Press on February 5, 1896 and the Pittsburg Leader on February 6, 1896. The delegates present were from Boston, Chicago, Buffalo, New York City, Pittsburg and Cleveland who reported that wages at the time were $2.50 to $3.00 per day depending on location.
The Iron Workers established Local 58 in New Orleans on March 9, 1903. Over the years, there have been nine Iron Worker locals in New Orleans. There was a mixture of Structural, Ornamental Shopmen, Piledrivers & Dockbuilders, Riggers, Shipyard Riggers, Crane and Derrick Men, Reinforcing Concrete / Rodmen.
Most were of these locals were organized by B.A. Murray Ninth Vice-President or J.W. Meyer Business Manager and Financial Secretary- Treasurer of local 58. Some of these locals only lasted a few years and some were merged into what is Local 58 today. It was not uncommon to have segregated locals in the early 1900’s. We are proud to be a brotherhood of one in this day and age to fight for justice, unity, dignity and a good living wage on every job we represent.